Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Where's Ty?

Preface to this story: Ty is my good child. Don't get me wrong, they are all "good children". Ty is seriously an angel. He does whatever I tell him whenever I tell him to do it. He is seriously just a good boy. That being said, the last two days he has turned into a monster. Not oveying, back talking, fighting, and just being a normal rambunctious boy, really. It had really made me fear what the future is going to bring if he keeps this attitude up. Now, on to the story.
Today I dropped Ty off at swimming lessons. His teachers encourage parents to leave their children there because they feel they do better for some reason....The lessons are for 45 min. Today was his second day of the season.
I watched as he ran in, then I went on my merry little way to run a quick errand. 11:00 rolls around so I hurry back to pick him up. When I got there he wasn't waiting by the mailbox like he was yesterday. I wait a few more minutes assuming that his class has just run a little longer today. Then I realize that kids are now showing up for the next class. So I hopped out of my car and ran into the pool area to ask his teacher if she saw him get out of the pool and where he went. "Ty? Ty didn't come to lessons today," she said. And then I got that huge pit on my stomach, mothers, you know what I am talking about. I dropped him off here 45 mintues ago. One of the other mothers heard us talking, "Are you talking about Tyrus? I saw him walking that way (pointing the direction to our house) a few minutes ago." Panic struck. "Are serious?" I ran to my car as fast as I could and went from 0-60 in about five seconds. I drove all the way to the end of the road. No sign of him. I rounded the corner and far off in the distance I think I can see him walking on the side of the road. I speeded ahead, and sure enough, there he was. About two miles away from the pool. "Ty! What'g going on?" To my suprise, he was totally fine. Not crying, sot scared....."Why did you leave swimming?" "I just waited for you forever and you didn't come, so I am just walking home." "But Ty, I'm not late. Did you do your lesson?" " "Yea. It was just really short today." "Short? What do you mean?" "I just got in the pool, then we had free time, then she just said everyone out of the pool. Time for the next class." Then I put the pieces together. He showed up a little bit early, just in time to catch the end of the earlier class. He jumped in thinking that it was his class, and the teacher didn't even see him get in. (The kids are in and out diving, and going off the slide, etc.) It was an honest mistake. I took him back to tell the teachers that I had located my lost son. I was shaking like crazy, sick to death and totally on the verge of a break down. I tried to keep a hold of myself so I didn't totally freak Ty out. We figured out what had happened, and they invited him to stay for the class that was then going on. He stayed (and so did I, of course). Though it makes me sick to think of what could have happened to him, I am just so so grateful that he is ok.
The moral of this story is: Even if your kids are totally driving you crazy and you feel like you can't stand your mommy role for one more second, there will come a time that you realize that your kids are your life and there is no place that you'd rather be.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad this story ended good because my heart sunk as I was reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so correct!! Everett drives me nuts all the time and then we end up having a similar situation and I realize I really do like him!!

    ReplyDelete