Monday, May 25, 2009

To splurge, or not to splurge...that is the question.

I admit it...I am a splurger. I enjoy spending ridiculous amounts of money on darling little impractical outfits that my children may or may not ever get a chance to wear. I can't help it. I have a sick addiction to shopping for my kids.
I own an upscale children's boutique, (Thus, going hand in hand with the fact that spending on my kids is my favorite hobby) so I get a first hand look at mommy splurging at it's finest. I always find it so interesting that a mother will drop hundreds of dollars on their children in a flash but hesitate and stew over a $6.00 shirt for themselves. 9 times out of 10, they end up putting that shirt back for the adorable little socks that match that $69.00 cardigan. What is it that naturally prioritizes us this way? I had a baby a couple of months ago. My body isn't what it used to be. Neither is my wardrobe. Usually my daily wear consists of pajama pants and my husbands T-shirts. And my sweet little baby monster princess is growing so rapidly that when I open my eyes after I blink I forget who she is. Her Michelin baby legs are bulging out of every inch of everything she owns. Naturally, we need clothes. I find myself scouring babygap, Matilda Jane, and every other designer baby cloths site that I can think of to find just the perfect baby get up for my sweet little angel. But when it comes to outfitting myself, I try to find some old hand-me-downs some poor preggers herself is trying to pawn off in trades for some stylin' maternity threads on Ebay. Come on Women! Are we ill?!! Who is going to see that hundred dollar onesie? Us? Well maybe. If it isn't covered by a drool bib and a swaddling blankie. And honestly, we all know that it's just going to get pooped and puked on all dang day long, and you know it's true.
Tonight I ran to family dollar for my weekly diaper run. I grabbed my basket, threw in a package of diapers and wipes, then meandered around to the clothing. I was trying to find some long sleeved onesies for my babies chubby little arms. As a walked around the rack I noticed a few cheaply made little outfits that bordered on actually being passable. I took a gander at the price tag...$6! That's right, six bucks for an entire outfit. I'm talkin a headband, a shirt and shorts! That's like two dollars for each piece! Now I contemplated and stewed over these some what dorky white trash baby clothes....then I did it. I just shut my eyes and threw them in my cart. Then you know what I did, I found some for my 3 year old. I loaded up my cart like a binger in a twinkie store. As I was driving home I couldn't help but be proud of what amazing bargains I had found. Seriously, 5 outfits for Kamdynn, 3 for Bentlee, and yes, a $6 shirt of my own. Diapers and wipes on top of that and it was only $67! Now you be honest with me ladies. You can't tell me that you would trade all of this stuff for one pair of babyGAP Skirt-alls, would you? I know it's tempting. I'm just as weak for a baby Biscotti dress as the rest of ya. I think I'll pass on the Biscotti and buy six more packs of diapers. That should cover us for at least the next month. SO here's to all you over-spendin, splurge addicted mothers: A challenge. A dare, if you will. Myself included. I dare you (along with myself) not to purchase another outfit for your child totaling more than $15, shoes included, for the rest of the season. Lets all be a little more rational about this. If we make it to September 1st with out breaking the rules, we are going on a girls shopping spree. And you know what were going to buy? Yup. Clothes for US. Don't you think we deserve it? Me too. I owe myself a little something for packing around this spare tire and set of saggy boobs for the last who knows how long. And in the mean time, I am going to post pics of my kids in their trash store bargain threads. And you have to share too. If you are in, send me pics of your $15 fashion show and I will post some of them (mail to trishajudkins@gmail.com). Oh I all ready can't wait. Save on, splurgie mommies, SAVE ON!

13 comments:

  1. I think you are one of the funniest people I know. I am in. I agree 100%.. You said what has been on my mind fore years! I freakin love it..
    Sadie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh It is so on! I think Ellie is wearing a $13 outfit today! I'm so snapping a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trisha!!
    I am glad you came back to the blogging world!! Your blogs are hilarious!! Congrats on little Bentlee!!! Shawn told me back in September that you were prego and I was a little sad you didn't tell me when we ran into each other at the fair. Oh well! Well, I look forward to reading some more blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY LOVE YOU Trish!! I guess I can hold out for that TRUE RELIGION skirt from Nordstrom for BELLA till Sept. 1. It's only $98. I think I can do it! I'm sure I'll talk to you before 10:00 AM tomorrow. NIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trisha, It's great that you are trying new things! I didn't want to spend the ridiculous amount of money on something that my kiddos will wear once, maybe twice. They are getting by just fine on what they wear and once they find their style, it's easy to buy for them...and it doesn't cost too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I just want you to know that your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

    And, without wanting to be inappropriate at such a difficuIt time, I do have to say that I love this post!! I felt like it should have been an entry in my journal!!!! I'm SUCH a sucker for dressing my girls! However, I've tried really hard to cut back on m spending habits and actually found some passable outfits at Wal-Mart! And, my mother-in-law always buys stuff for my girls at Family Dollar...so good for you, and I'm glad you posted about it - hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You crack me up! Im in.....this is gonna be hard. Shoes and all. white trash baby here we come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are hilarious, but way creative, count me in too. I agree with what our kids do to our body we do deserve something. Sorry about your brother. I went to the viewing, but was in line for over an hour and had to coach my daughter's t-ball team so I had to leave. Katelyn was sad she didn't get to see Tyrus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite line was this: somewhat dorky whitetrash clothes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this... I've been a closet white trash shopper for awhile. When I go on bargain tangents to my local white trash stores, I almost feel the need to "celebrity out" with my shades and hat... why? so that my friends won't know I like to save money? or I like cute things for cheap? Whatever the case, I can relate. I admit to feeling a little embarrassed when coming around the corner on aisle 3 at Alco and seeing your cute face... only until I noticed your cart was chuck full. If Trisha can do it, so can I. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this... I've been undercover white trash for awhile now. I feel the need to 'celebrity out' with my hat and shades when binging at my local white trash convenient stores.... why? so my friends don't know I like to save money? because I like to buy cute things for cheap? Whatever the case, I can relate. I admit to feeling a little embarrassed when turning the corner on aisle 3 at Alco and seeing your cute face! Only until I noticed your cart was chuck full. If Trisha's doing it, so am I. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really did not think my comment was so awesome that I needed to write it twice. My computer crapped out and told me it didn't send. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol!! I love your honesty trish!

    ReplyDelete